Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Thanksgiving

        What if you woke up today with only the things that you thanked God for yesterday?

Thanksgiving seems to be shoved aside by merchants each year as the Christmas decorations get put out on the shelves at the same time as the Halloween decorations in effort to get the shoppers spending money earlier and earlier for the holiday season. I wanted to take time to make some decorations for Thanksgiving this year that will reflect the gratitude that I have for my many blessings. I think we need to make sure that we are saying many more "thank Thee" prayers and less "please" prayers.
In Luke 17:12-19, we read-- "And as he entered into a certain village, there met him ten men that were lepers, which stood afar off; And they lifted up their voices, and said, Jesus,Master, have mercy on us.And when he saw them, he said unto them, Go shew yourselves unto the priests. And it came to pass, that, as they went, they were cleansed. And one of them, when he saw that he was healed, turned back, and with a loud voice glorified God, And fell down on his face at his feet, giving him thanks: and he was a Samaritan. And Jesus answering said,Were there not ten cleansed? but where are the nine? There are not found that returned to give glory to God, save this stranger. And he said unto him, Arise,go thy way; thy faith has made thee whole."


I pray that I always remember to say "Thank-you" so that my Savior knows how grateful I am for everything that he has done for me. I pray that I never get too busy to hear the sound of birds singing. I pray that I will always be amazed by the intricate work of the spider's web when the morning dew is glistening in the sun as the drops are suspended from the delicate strands. I pray that I remember to stop to "smell the roses" and to look "through the eyes" of a child. Life is beautiful even when it is filled with adversity. I have even learned to say "thank you for the struggles" in life. That is what makes us strong. May I always be the one that remembers Him and never one of the "nine who forgot!"  I am very grateful....may I always make sure to tell Him.
I spent today working on a box to put on our Thanksgiving table but I plan to leave it there afterwards and just change the decorations with each holiday or season. I filled the box with Thanksgiving decorations and two branches that we are going to use for our "gratitude trees" this year. We will hang paper leaves on the little trees as part of our Family Home evening next week.Each leaf will have something that we are thankful for printed on it.

 It's hard to see in the photo,but I used a wood burning tool to burn the words "Oh May My Heart Be Full Of Thanks" on the side of the box.







                                     
"Count your blessings;name them one by one. Count your blessings,see what God has done!"






No comments:

Post a Comment