Thursday, November 8, 2012

A Gift for My Savior

I have seen several ideas lately where people are using a permanent marker to write the names of Christ on Christmas ornaments so I decided to adapt that idea for a project that I have for the kids to do starting on Thanksgiving until Christmas. Here is what I came up with:

 I had a box of these little tin heart party favors that my daughter had given me that I was waiting for something to use them for.This has worked out perfectly! She bought them in the wedding section at Michael's Craft Store.

The little heart shaped boxes have clear acetate lids so I made paper inserts and wrote the names of Christ in black permanent marker and outlined the letters in silver.


 I made a loop of sequin trim and hot glued it to the top with a clear bead just to cover where the ends met.
 Then I hot-glued a wired bead trim around the lid.


The little boxes have these blank stickers that come with them so I used them to write the scripture references for the name that is on the lid and stuck it on the inside of the box.

Now, here is the idea for the boxes that I came up with for our project: Each night beginning with Thanksgiving, we will take one of the boxes and read the scripture reference and discuss it just like all the other people are planning on doing with their ornaments but inside the box is going to be a service project idea printed on green strips of paper that we will do for someone in "the name of the Savior." We have decided that we will give service as a sign of our gratitude. These acts of service are not only for our family and friends but will be for the community as well. For instance, we are making a poster size "thank you" sign for the police dept. and fire dept. and hanging it on their door and taking a box of Krispy Kreme donuts to the front desk. We are gathering children's books to leave in the waiting rooms of local dentist's offices. We have several "Secret Agent" activities that  I will list in a future post.
This is the third thing that we are going to use our little hearts for.  The hearts will be filled with coins   or dollar bills or gum and used as gift tags on some special little gifts for our young Sister missionaries who will be away from home during the holiday season. If you know them,don't tell them that it is our kids who are doing it. We are on a "Secret Agent" Mission of service and I only post this so that someone else who might want an idea for service will have time to use it. The first night our gift to the Sisters will be a little table top size tree to hang their ornaments on.

The Lord "owns" everything I have possession of except one thing....my will....that I must choose to give freely. My heart is where my will abides so I must remove it to "make room" for the Savior.When He first came to dwell with mankind, there was "no room." I will make a place for him and choose to give him my heart.


Give Me Thy Heart

"Give me thy heart," says the Father above,
No gift so precious to Him as our love;
Softly He whispers, wherever thou art,
"Gratefully trust me and give me thy heart."

"Give me thy heart," says the Saviour of men,
Calling in mercy again and again;
"Turn now from sin, and from evil depart,
Have I not died for thee? Give me thy heart."

"Give me thy heart," says the Spirit divine,
"All that thou hast, to my keeping resign;
Grace more abounding is mind to impart,
Make full surrender and give me thy heart."
------Eliza Edmunds Hewitt


"And they did kneel down with the church, and pray to the Father in the name of Christ,saying;"
O God, The Eternal Father, we ask thee in the name of thy Son, Jesus Christ,to bless and sanctify this bread to the souls of all those who partake of it; that they may eat in remembrance of the body of thy Son, and witness unto thee, O God, the Eternal Father, that they are willing to take upon them the name of thy Son, and always remember him, and keep his commandments which he hath given them, that they may always have his Spirit to be with them, Amen"--Moroni 4:2-3

.."THAT THEY ARE WILLING TO TAKE UPON THEM THE NAME OF THY SON"....





May we always remember that when we take upon ourselves the name of Jesus Christ,that everything we do and say should be a reflection of HIM and be in accordance with the way that we would act if he was standing beside us at that moment. His name is sacred and not to be taken in vain.

No comments:

Post a Comment