"Be Still"
"Be still," I hear Him softly say,
"Be still, lay all aside."
He who made the universe stoops down,
and gathers up my cares.
"Be still," He chides again.
His work begins within my weary soul.
"Be patient. In quiet stay.
Listen to me."
Though pressed on every side,
I clear my heart and mind.
In timid voice and heart,
I lift to Him my praise.
How quiet, His presence,
How healing, His words,
In hushed awe, I listen.
I savor each one.
My will, He bends.
My heart, He sweeps clean.
My strength, He renews.
My soul, He fills overflowing.
He teaches through His word.
I need what He tells me.
I stand and give Him praise.
Together we go forth and serve.
----author unknown
Why does Christmas bring so much stress? Perhaps it is because we listen to the wrong voice. The world says that you won't have a "Merry Christmas" unless you can get the latest fashions or newest gadget or that new toy that is the latest rage that every other kid is going to have and yours won't unless you stand in long lines with a load of money and a pair of boxing gloves on to beat down the masses that are fighting to get it before you can grab one. Perhaps we need to just slow down and re-think this entire Christmas thing. Will your kids die if they don't get everything on their wish list? Will the sun come up tomorrow? Wait....that sounds vaguely familiar. The sun will come out tomorrow....bet your bottom dollar that tomorrow,there'll be sun. So why spend your bottom dollar and be broke when tomorrow gets here. What is Christmas about anyway?
My Christmas Wish List:
1. More Spiritual---Less Commercial
2. More Joyful---Less Sorrowful
3. More Forgiveness----Less Contention
4. More Peaceful----Less Stressful
5. More Gratitude----Less Selfishness
"Life's under no obligation to give us what we expect"--Margaret Mitchell
But Jesus promises,"Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you, Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid."--John 14:27
Even if there is no money for gifts, Christmas isn't about presents anyway. It is about HIS PRESENCE in our lives and in our homes. Let us teach the children this and pray that they learn the true meaning for the season. Maybe we need to remember the real reason for the season as well.
Let us listen to the true "Spirit of Christmas" this year......the Holy Spirit.
"Be still, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth. The Lord of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our refuge." ---Psalm 46:10-11
No comments:
Post a Comment